Monday, September 10, 2012

Can't top this


Ya can tap it, but ya can't top it cause I already did.  Last night and today I installed 100s, maybe 1000s, (just kidding) of tentalones...the little "teeth" that glue the top and sides together.  These provide for a solid connection between the top and sides that allows the guitar to be a "unit".  Hide glue is the secret...it's all natural and makes good use of Dobbin when she goes to that horsey paradise in the sky, leaving behind a large, useful carcass.  Hide glue actually (I'm told) forms a molecular bond between the pieces of wood that is truly stronger than the wood.  I buy it in flakes and make up my own hot glue.  As you can see in the photo, I've placed these little chunks of wood all the way around the perimeter, except where the neck will shortly go.  A quick check of the tap tone sounded really good.  I'll test it imperically, when the neck, fretboard and bridge go on and then tweak it if necessary before the back goes on.
                                                                                                  T

Awesome top with awesome tap (tone)

Top and sides joined..neck awaiting


No comments:

Post a Comment